How it all started…

Toberman Neighborhood Center was established in 1903 by James and Emma Toberman as a memorial to their son Homer, who passed away at the age of 29 in 1902. The organization was first located in Echo Park and was originally named Homer Toberman Mission. As one of the oldest Methodist Mission projects, Toberman Mission offered an infirmary, a residence for single women, and a series of youth development and delinquency prevention services. In 1917 the organization moved to Boyle Heights and operated as an original settlement house. In 1937, Toberman relocated to the Barton Hill community in San Pedro and adopted a new name, Toberman Settlement House. Since the final move to the San Pedro, Toberman has evolved into a multifaceted organization serving the diverse needs of the Harbor community. In October of 2007, Toberman welcomed the grand opening of its newly built 36,000 square foot campus and is now known as Toberman Neighborhood Center.

Learn more here about James and Emma Toberman and the Legacy that has impacted Los Angeles for over a century.

How we work…

Toberman Neighborhood Center is governed by The Board of Trustees. The Board is responsible for the oversight of the organization. The Board adopts rules, regulations, and policies governing the programs and services we provide. The Board has authority over program development, use of property, development of facilities, and fiscal and human resources management. The current board is comprised of 20 members committed to the programs and clients we serve.

The 20-member Board of Trustees meets six times per year. Board meetings allow for communication among the trustees, senior staff, and program managers.

Meet the board members here.

Meet the Senior Staff

Address: 131 North Grand Ave., San Pedro, CA 90731

Create Account



Log In Your Account